Tarring was given by King Athelstan of England to the archbishops of Canterbury in the 10th century and it is believed that the village was visited by Thomas Becket, the martyred archbishop, in the 12th century and also St Richard of Chichester, patron saint of Sussex, in the 13th century.
West Tarring is noted for its 13th-century parish church of St Andrew, 13th-century Archbishop’s Palace, numerous old houses including the 15th-century timber-framed Parsonage Row, now a Restaurant & Bar and two pubs, The Vine and the George and Dragon.
Despite Tarring High Street being a relatively short and very narrow road, it was once home to five pubs. A lamp case bearing the legend “Castle Inn” is still present outside one of the former public houses.
West Tarring had an ancient fig garden, dating from 1745 or earlier. This garden survived for nearly 250 years but most of it was destroyed in the late 20th century to make way for property development.
Take a look at this Map of West Tarring dating from 1875: